Thursday, August 9, 2007

Yes sir I'm back!

I wasn't that busy while I was gone. I'm just slow and don't manage time well. A quick re-cap about what's happened.

I had some bodaciously awesome weekends dude.

July 20-22

I went to Below Market for the first time with some Saxon and some SD friends. What a charming little bar.

Saturday my family and I went to a Padres game for the first time in 10 years to celebrate my mom's birthday. My entire childhood, my pops used to take us to baseball games every year because I used to LOVE baseball. Closest thing I've had to a passion in my lifetime.

To go to that game was especially fitting because Tony Gwynn was being honored with a statue at the park. Tony Gwynn was THE MAN in the 90s. His peak years in batting were my peak years loving baseball. So it was nice to bring back some old family memories not only watching a game, but seeing one of the guys who made the games so special for us years ago. Congrats Tony! Happy birthday mom!

Sunday me and Katrina went to The Getty. I went to UCLA for four years and never drove the 2 minutes to get there. Little did I know that one of the coolest spots in LA was right under my flat Filipino nose. Thanks Ka-mazing for giving me the grand tour and for letting me drag you to the medieval dragons exhibit!

27-29

My last day at the old agency was on a Wednesday. Big Jus, being the John the Baptist-like saint that he is, invited me out to Fontana for a day. After all, no summer is complete without spending long, hot, sweltering periods of time in the city I call my second home. I don't know how we did it, but we managed to eat Applebee's, Kabuki, watch Transformers, play some Wii tennis, bowl, and myspace hop in one day. Thanks Big Jus!

Jamil's birthday was on Friday. It was chill. Just like the celebrant. Pizza, finger foods, and King's Cup at the apartment. And me continuing to destroy all challengers in the Wii tennis.

Saturday I helped Katrina move out of her apartment. Her family has already discovered the secret to my happiness: they paid for me at the buffet afterwards.

Sunday we watched Hairspray because she loves musicals. I like black people singing and dancing. So we both came out winners.

Aug 3-6

I'm late as hell, but happy birthday Ate KC if you ever read this!

Friday was Gordon's birthday. We had a fine dinner extravaganza at Islands then sped to SD and chilled at Landlord's for an hour.

Saturday we crashed Tony's mom's birthday, explored the Bodies exhibit at UTC, crashed Jamil's house for roast beef leftovers, then made a return to Below Market. Combining Saxon, my cousins, my friends, my's friends (no that's not a typo), Rick's people, Katrina's friend and our friends' friends, pretty much every Asian in the bar was somehow connected to Gordon. The birthday boy attained maximum drunk status without yacking. An ideal birthday.

Sunday we hit up Yogurt World, and on the way to LA we stopped in V-town at some cajun seafood place. Basically, this place called The Broiling Crab serves you crawfish and scrimps and shit by the pound. They put it in a bag of spices and oil and drop it on your table. It's a lot of work, but it's a must-try.

So there's the weekends. I'd say my weekdays have been typical, except they weren't.

Wednesday the 30th was my last day as a traffic coordinator at the old company. It was bitter sweet. Sweet because I was dying to jumpstart my advertising career in a department with some creative input, and because the traffic department is the most under-appreciated line of work in advertising.

Bitter because I had the ideal workday. A stress-free, easy job that let me do more web surfing, reading, and writing than I ever did in my life. Most importantly, it was the people. I could go hours listing all the dumb shit we did to pass the day by, but only half of it will be understandable. That no one else would understand the other half is what made our department special.

I believe you can get through anything in life as long as you're surrounded by decent enough people. My department was more than decent, and I wouldn't be surprised to never enjoy another office environment as I did there.

The new job is everything I expected, strangely. The environment, the type of work, what's expected of me, my co-workers. Nothing's thrown me off track. That's probably good and bad. I felt like I've seen everything

--- FUCK WE JUST HAD AN EARTHQUAKE. MINOR ONE I GUESS. BUT IT LASTED LONGER THAN ANY OTHER I'VE BEEN IN!

i'm gonna check the national whatever geological whatever website and stuff now. and close my blinds and stay away from glass. suddenly i don't care to finish my update. peace!

No comments: