Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pop quiz, hot shot

Thanks to my lovely girlfriend and her peers in the student services office of Southwestern Law School, I've lost many hours at work in search of an answer to a deep and burning question. In my quest for this holy grail of answers (or maybe crystal skull is a more fitting analogy this week?), I've even reached out to a few of you with random phone calls humming like a mad man.

Where, my friends, the heck do I know this song from??

It's a doo wop classic originally, but the humming part was ingrained in my head decades later. My guess is it was a commercial from the 90s. I feel like it was something warm and toasty being advertised, either a home-cooked meal product or restaurant chain.

However, the only commercial one can find online is this Lipton commercial, from a way too recent era.

I'm convinced that this is NOT how I know this song. I've never seen the commercial. And the tune feels so nostalgic that it had to be on TV way before the turn of the century.

So I'm stuck. So is my brother and my girlfriend. So are random co-workers who I felt no shame in asking such a ridiculous question. And all the while my company loses big bucks in lost productivity while I google "Little Bitty Pretty One + commercial" and like, get to page 72 of the results cause I've become that obsessed with finding closure to this.

What I do know is that whoever can pinpoint the source of how our generation knows this melody--and can prove it--gets street cred for life.

No comments: