#002
She's unselfish.
She has a passion for helping people. Her job by day is to help law students be better, well-rounded students. Her long-term career goal is to succeed in something that allows her to help groups of people, every day, whether in education or through public service. She's yet to figure out exactly which it'll be, but it's going to be a service for the greater good of people in her community. And it inspires me to be there and support her.
I see her help people by night too. She pulls more than her own weight at home. And I know her friends rely on her when they're struggling. She takes my problems and makes them hers. She even takes the problems of people in my life that she's just gotten to know recently, and if she knows where she can help, she doesn't hesitate to do it.
I would like to think that some day I will have given enough of my time to a cause or a need greater than myself. My current job doesn't really allow me to do that on a daily basis, but I hope the skills I'm gaining become relevant and useful for something more important down the line.
I tried dabbling in idealism and kumbaya in college, but nothing ever really stuck. Part of me felt like I was so incomplete and inexperienced in my own life that I wasn't ready to know how I could really contribute to helping others. I still feel that way, so in the meantime, I'll do what I need to do for myself and throw the rest of my time and energy behind people who are ready to make a difference. People like friends and family I have who know their talents and are willing to put themselves out there and do big things. And my girlfriend, who shows me every day that there are people who commit to sacrificing for others, and they, in turn, make the rest of us better. And looking purty while she does it, I might add. Another reason why I love her so.
No comments:
Post a Comment