Live basketball on Friday with the BCF, watching the soon-to-be NCAA tournament champs at Pauley. The freshmen are coming along nicely. Collison and Shipp look comfortable as the leaders of a young team. And Alfred Aboya is still fouling. Sounds like another Final Four to me. No reason to believe this year won't be the year finish on top for once.
Live football at the Rose Bowl with the BCF again, Tiff, Katrina, and the Hollas. The Hollas are those very special UCLA class of '05 members who inspired me to be social and active with other Filipinos in college. They're also learning to tailgate like hardcore alumni football fans should, so that was awesome getting to share in their delicious BBQ and picnic foods. It was a beautiful day to spend outside in Pasadena, and the only rainy cloud in sight was the UCLA football team's performance.
I think the highlight of the game was during garbage time, when I started an 8-clap in our section and we got props from the old guy in the blue & gold sweater who pumps the crowd up on a microphone. You've seen't him on TV, yelling something like "I need every man, woman, and child on their feet for this 3rd down!!!" This time, it was us pumping him up during a dark moment for Bruin football. So kudos to us.
Live concert on Sunday with my favorite gal. I took Katrina to see the Heads of State for her birthday, which is some funny name that someone came up with for a concert featuring Ralph Tresvant, Johnny Gill, and Bobby Brown. Yes, Bobby Brown is performing again. No, he did not collapse on stage in the middle of "Don't Be Cruel" due to a crack overdose. Him and the other fellas definitely held their own for their age. I've been to two New Edition concerts (without B. Brown), and the fact that this one featured only the lead singers made it the most intimate.
They sang less famous hits that I never thought I'd witness live and in person, and they sang backup for each other's solo hits, which no one probably imagined when Bobby split from the group. Plus they were funny, being honest about their age and what they can't do anymore. For an even more intimate account, I'd check with Justin of the CSUSB Coyote Chronicle since he got to interview the guys backstage!!! OMFG, like, I so totally would've fainted, like, for sure.
And as icing on the cake, the Clippers and the Chargers won on Sunday. Not exactly heading to ticketmaster to buy my tickets to the NBA Finals and Super Bowl just yet, but where I come from winning is better than losing. So I'll take the W's and hope that there are more to come.
Another busy weekend ends. It's been a while since I've gotten to attend some live events. This weekend I got my fill of sports and music. And I definitely got my share of quality time with old friends, bombies cousins, and my lovely girlfriend.
On a less happy note, I used the word "tremendously" on a conference call with one of my clients today. I sounded like such a corporate geek. What a sell-out. I flicked myself in the nut for saying that. Keep it real, bro. Next time, say the ad campaign is "fuckin' awesome" or something. Ya wankster.
No comments:
Post a Comment