Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Public speaking.

I thought I was improving at it.

At my last job, I was fearless. Even when speaking with clients. I'd chime in on calls, loud and clear, sounding smart and shit.

I tricked myself.

I didn't realize how different shit gets when you're presenting to a crowd in-person. Last week, I had my first "internal" presentation of a media plan, one of the first steps before presenting in-person to the client. It's in front of heads of my department and representatives from departments throughout the agency.

Every time someone new walked into my conference room, a new butterfly formed in my stomach. By start time, there were at least 15 attendees. That's a shitload of butterflies, even for the size of my stomach.

My voice quivered. I mumbled and stuttered. I umm'd and uhh'd my way out of any respect people had for me going into the meeting.

This Wednesday, we go to the client, and I make the same presentation in-person. I'm changing of the way I prepare this time, and I hope there's a noticeable difference to my team and my managers. Or else, um, uh, like, I'm f-f-f-fucked man!

2 comments:

BCF said...

Hey man, just pretend you're Philip Rivers. He says "umm" and "uhh" a lot during his interviews and everything turns out OK.

bhoomi said...

Thanks for the update. I find this blog is very interesting to read, i will visit again for more updates.. mcx tips