Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Chris Benoit

Friday night I was at Kuya Pogz's, and he was telling us how he was debating with some guy about who the greatest wrestler was. I remember throwing in Chris Benoit's name, cause he was the best pure wrestler, pound for pound, when I used to watch wrestling.

I always admired his no-nonsense character and how, having no charisma whatsoever, his lack of a gimmick WAS his gimmick. Plus, Kuya Virg used to always put the Crippler Crossface on me in middle school, so that helped feed my awe of Benoit as a wrestler.

A lot of wrestlers from my golden days have died. But this one's a shocker. And so is the revelation that Benoit may be a murderer too. The media is gonna come hard at prowrestling now, and even though I was a hardcore fan and still enjoy watching a good wrestling match once in a while, maybe they should raid prowrestling. It's like one big party--drug-abusing barbarians and scantily-clad women--all getting paid paid paid with no one to watch over since it's not a "real sport."

It's tragic that Chris is gone, and even sadder that his family is too, and Vince McMahon needs to cut loose any part of the professional wrestling career and lifestyle that led to the deaths.

No comments: